I have never done a caricature before. At least not one other than a cartoonish drawing I did many years ago at school and it wasn't very good. This is my first real attempt at one and it really turned out more like a slightly exaggerated portrait rather than a caricature. I tried twice and decided that I had chosen the wrong
subject. I chose Johnny Depp because my son really likes him and he portrays so many interesting characters. Actually, I realized it before I was even done with the first one but wanted to finish it for Cyan. My son actually looks a good bit like Johnny Depp, thus his fascination with him. So, what I know I did wrong:
1. I think I chose the wrong subject.
2. I didn't exaggerate anything enough.
3. I exaggerated too many features.
4. I should have done a full body or nearly full body pose so I could play with the overall perspective a bit more, maybe made him standing in a quirky pose and made his body smaller and his head larger.
5. There should have been a hand and a cigarette involved.
Hmmmm, I'm sure there is more, but these are all I can think of this morning. Last night I had a list in my head a mile long. I don't like it when I can't do something. I am very stubborn and I may try this again because I feel like it defeated me and I don't like it. Even though I really have no interest in doing caricatures I still want to make it work just because. Told you I was stubborn. But this is why I love doing MAD and IF, it makes me try to do things I would not normally do. What is really funny is my son and husband love these, go figure!